Clubhouse: (08) 8379 1673
Pro Shop: (08) 8379 1674
Founding the Country Club
The fact that the Mount Osmond Golf Club has a history at all is testament to the determination of Mr.Sydney Melbourne - the then district engineer of the council of Burnside in 1924.
If it wasn't for his vision and stubbornness the prime location where the club now proudly stands, 400 metres above sea level, would no doubt be part of the lower Adelaide Hills residential zone.
After the council declined his plan to create a public golf course, Sydney Melbourne coopted the support and spirit of other like minded golf lovers, and formed a syndicate to purchase the land.
They then formed a company and in 1927 offered shares to the public.
The first Club President of the Mount Osmond Country Club Ltd was Mr E.W.Holden - later to become Sir Edward of Holden car fame.
The original Club House was designed to be a true 'Country Club', with accommodation, tennis courts, bowling greens, dining rooms and a swimming pool.
All kinds of schemes were conceived and in some cases implemented, to allow the fledgling club to survive and grow. From 1927 and into the 50's sheep were very profitably grazed and penned on the course. The revenue from such schemes enabled club management to invest in equipment to care for the course.
1927 also saw the sinking of a well and the installation of a pumping system, from Waterfall Gully to a concrete tank near the course summit. Now a limited amount of regular course watering was possible.
Club Champions have included Sir Donald Bradman on two occasions.
However WW2 forced a rethink of scale but not ambition, and resulted in the classic, Tudor Club House that stands on the site today.
During the war years, Mount Osmond's club house was used as a convalescent hospital and the fairways and greens became a wilderness of wild oats and weeds.
After the war, member 'working bee' sessions slowly but surely restored Mount Osmond's playing surfaces, and clubrooms, to their former high standards.
The New Golf Club
1957 arrived and with it more changes. The Mount Osmond Golf Club was incorporated, and the newly formed club began the process of buying the shares of the original company - a task that was amicably completed by 1965.
In 1963 a 4 million-gallon reservoir was built, guaranteeing the necessary care for fairways and greens, and ensuring Mount Osmond remained green and leafy all year round.
In 1990/91 the Club House and Pro Shop were substantially renovated and refurbished, to encapsulate the splendour and charm of yesteryear.
Today around 1000 members enjoy the superb playing and leisure facilities that you'll find at Mount Osmond Golf Club.
Stories abound in the relaxed atmosphere of the exquisite timber panelled Club Rooms, including one about a large gum tree near the 18th green, known as "Lawrence's Folly". This commemorates the ability of Dr Bruce Lawrence, to rarely miss the tree, with his approach shot to the green.